THE EXCELLENCE OF DUROOD SHAREEF FOR THE UMMAH AS EXPLAINED IN THE HOLY QURAN
The message of Allah Ta’ala to Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) has come down to us in the form of the Holy Quran and the teachings of Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) have reached us in the form of the Ahadith. Let us see what both the Holy Quran and Ahadith say about Durood Shareef (Salawat):
“Innal llaha wa Malaa’ikatahu Yu salluna allan nabiyi.
Ya Ayyuhal lazeena aamanu sallu alaihi wasallimu tasleema.” (Surah Ai-Ahzab, Verse 56)
Almighty Allah says: “Surely Allah and His Angels send blessings on the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). O you who believe! Send Blessings (Durood) and Salutations (Salaams) on the Prophet with worthy Salutation”. (Surah al-Ahzab: 56)
In this verse of the Holy Quran, Almighty Allah, His Malaa’ikah and the Muslims have been mentioned as sending Durood upon Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). So, Durood Shareef is actually “a Du’a in praise of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).”
Hazrat Anas (radi Allahu anhu) narrates that Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “He who reads a single Durood upon me, Almighty Allah blesses him ten times, ten of his sins are forgiven, and he is increased ten times in stages (internally). (Mishkaat)
Hazrat Abdullah ibn Ma’sud (radi Allahu anhu) also narrates that Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “On the Day of Qiyamah, the closest to me from among the people will be those who have read the most amount of Durood Shareef”. (Tirmidhi)
It is now evident that the recitation of Durood Shareef (Salawat) is in perfect obedience to the Divine Command and in complete conformity with the teachings of Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) of Islam. There is no scope to choose anything else when we have with us the words of Allah Ta’ala and His Apostle, Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
The Commands of Allah Ta’ala and the Rasulallah (SalallahoAlaiheWasalam) to recite Salawat-o-Salaam is unconditional i.e. no where in Quran or Hadiths, Allah or His Messenger (salallahoalaihewasalam) mentioned in what position we have to send Salawat and Salam and how loud?. It is entirely upto believers in what position and volume he or she invokes salawat-o-salam, whether while sitting or laying on bed/floor or standing still or walking, it does not matter. Since we respect our beloved prophet (salallahoalaihewasalam) the most after Allah Ta’ala, it is the demand of this respect that we stand up and send Salat-o-Salam to the Prophet (salallahoalaihewasalam)
WHAT IS DUROOD SHAREEF AND THE IMPORTANCE OF DUROOD SHAREEF
Divine blessings on Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is the highest and the most meritorious act in our Deen. This “Divine Blessings” is called Durood Shareef.
When Almighty Allah sends Durood and Salaams upon Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), He is actually blessing him. When the Malaa’ikah and the Muslims send Durood and Salaams to Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), they are actually showing Almighty Allah their respect for the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
Muslims hope that, through the blessings of the Durood and Salaams, Almighty Allah will forgive them of their sins and increase their status in this world and in the Aakirah. The Malaa’ikah hope that Almighty Allah will increase their status.
Durood is a sure means of Allah Ta’ala granting blessings, peace, prosperity and favours of great magnitude on one who recites Durood Shareef on the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). The reciter of Durood Shareef receives all the benefits in this world and utmost gain in the next world with addition to the love of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
The invocation of Blessings on the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is styled in Arabic as “Salawat”, in Persian as “Durood”, and in Urdu as “Salawat-o-Salaam”.
The regular recitation of Durood Shareef on Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) lifts up our hearts on to a plane of comprehension where we gaze in our new found peace and moral armour.
The reciter of Durood Shareef will, after some time, come to realize by himself that it is the spontaneous outpouring of his heart before the Great Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) of Islam, whose love and attachment is needed to get all the present day problems solved and obtain mercy in the next world.
The more Durood Shareef we recite, the greater the gain and benefit will be achieved in both the worlds. Hazrat Shaikh-e-Akbar Mo’inuddin ibn Arabi (radi Allahu anhu) has stated that, “Those who claim to love and revere the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) should increase their recital of the Durood Shareef in patience and perseverance until, through the mercy of Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), they have the opportunity of witnessing his blessed countenance”.
The special and exclusive aspect of this prayer is that Durood Shareef is immediately accepted by Allah Ta’ala. No one can doubt its acceptance, as Durood Shareef is being recited by Allah Ta’ala too. Not only this, but He has revealed this secret in the Holy Quran by saying:
“Wara fa’na laka zikrah ” (Surah Al-InShirah, V-4) .”
Translation: And We have exalted for you your remembrance
Muslims are a very fortunate people. Allah Ta’ala chose for them the name of Islam as a religion, declared to be comprehensive and final for mankind. The person chose to deliver this message in this specific form and extra-ordinary style of love and hope was the most beloved of Allah Ta’ala and became the Light of Divinity to be shed upon the entire universe. This Light devastated all the domains of darkness and depression. By reciting Durood Shareef (Salawat) we invite Light and drive away all darkness from our inner soul. Our mind becomes soft and love saturated. If there is softness in everything, it tends beauty to it. People become ugly owing to lack of this essential beauty of the inner part of the mind. This ugliness cannot be glossed over by any amount of cosmetics. It is the Durood Shareef on the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) which works wonders.
In the same manner, the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) taught us Durood Shareef to attain salvation, perfect peace and maximum gain in this world as well as the next. The soul is the soil where the faith of Allah is to be implanted firmly and faithfully which requires continuous recitation of Durood Shareef to thrive and flourish.
We have been told by Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) that Durood Shareef is itself Light and when Light enters the soul every aspiration is achieved and every goal is won. Nothing remains thereafter to worry about.
Human spirit today is depressed everywhere and mankind has come to the edge of destruction, decay and devastation. Everyone is engulfed in untold miseries and tragedies of a very great magnitude. Troubles and tortures, pain, poverty, hunger, ill-health, frustrations and accidents have broken the back of a human being. All this can evaporate with the recitation of Durood Shareef on the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) who has clearly proclaimed that Durood Shareef is the panacea of all ills and that if any one comes across a calamity he should recite Durood Shareef in the maximum number. Allah Ta’ala has promised that if anyone recites Durood only once, He showers ten blessings on the reciter immediately.
It is narrated that once Hazrat Musa (alaihis salaam) walked a very long distance in the desert during summer at noon. He fainted due to thirst and hunger. After a while, when he regained his consciousness, Allah Ta’ala sent Hazrat Jibrael (alaihis salaam) to go and inquire from Hazrat Musa (alaihis salaam) if he was thirsty or not. Hazrat Musa (alaihis salaam) replied that he was thirsty. Allah Ta’ala told him that the thirst on the Day of Judgement will be a million times more than what Hazrat Moosa (alaihis salaam) experienced. Hazrat Musa (alaihis salaam) was told that if he wished to get rid of that thirst on the hottest Day of Judgement, he would have to do one thing. When Hazrat Musa (alaihis salaam) enquired as to what should be done, Allah Ta’ala told him that he should recite Durood Shareef in abundance on His last Prophet, Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). Hazrat Musa (alaihis salaam) thanked Allah Ta’ala and immediately began reciting Durood Shareef on the Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
From the above fact it is quite clear that Allah Ta’ala has given orders even to his Ambiya to recite Salawat on the last and final Prophet of Islam, and that Durood Shareef is not only panacea and a solution to the ills of this world but in the next too.
In another story, it is narrated that when Hazrat Adam (alaihis salaam) saw Bibi Hawa (radi Allahu anha) he wanted to be close to her, but Allah Ta’ala sent Hazrat Jibrael (alaihis salaam) to stop him. Allah Ta’ala told him that if he wanted to take Bibi Hawa (radi Allahu anha) as his wife, he should first pay Mahr (dowry). On his inquiry as to what the Mahr was, Allah Ta’ala told Hazrat Jibrael (alaihis salaam) to inform him that the best way of paying the dowry is for him to recite Durood Shareef 3 times on His last Prophet, Hazrat Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). Hazrat Adam (alaihis salaam) did so, Bibi Hawa (radi Allahu anha) was granted to him as his legal and legitimate wife.
The highest blessings which Islam has conferred on man is the concept of Tauheed or Unity of Allah in its purest form. This has been furnished to mankind through Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), the last of the Prophets. It is a cardinal duty of every Muslim man and woman, young and old to entertain the highest respect, regard, love and esteem for the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and his family. It should be clear that obedience to Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is always to be charged with intense love and highest regard for him, for it is through love and esteem that truth can be comprehended and communion with the Creator can be vouch-safed. In fact, love is the motive force, reverence dissolves and implicit obedience to the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) which is the natural outcome. It is therefore incumbent on those who love him, to pray to Allah Ta’ala and His Angels in wishing for him peace according to the Divine Command. This will reshape the life which is otherwise infested with turmoil. The reciter will get countless and matchless benefits in both the Worlds and can claim to be the lover of Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
As Muslims we should recite Durood Shareef in the Arabic language. Islam seeks to create a unified outlook and it is in the Arabic language alone which welds all Muslims into one great brotherhood. Besides, Arabic is the language of Heaven, it is the language of Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), it is the language of the Angels and it is the language of Hazrat Abu-Bakr, Hazrat Umar, Hazrat Uthman and Hazrat Ali (radi Allahu anhuma).
The daily recitation of Durood Shareef has a tremendous effect on the human head, heart, mind and person. It purifies thoughts and intensifies actions. It makes passages for perfect peace and personal satisfaction.
C) THE EXCELLENCE OF DUROOD SHAREEF AS EXPLAINED IN THE AHADITH
“Hadith” is an Arabic word which means “Holy Sayings”. It is the narration of all the affectionate words of advice uttered by the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) from time to time. These sayings (Ahadith) are instructions offered for the guidance of mankind, and to follow them is as important as daily prayers.
The famous books of Hadith are the following: Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Muwatta, Nisaai’, Ibn-Majah, Darmi, Baihaqi and Miskhaat Shareef.
Imam Bukhari (radi Allahu anhu), the compiler of Bukhari Shareef, took the greatest and painstaking precautions in making his collections of Ahadith and exerted to his utmost to achieve all accuracy and reliability as possible. Hence, Ahadith quoted by Imam Bukhari (radi Allahu anhu) and his work on Ahadith stands as one of the wonders of intellectual achievement in Islamic History. He wrote all Ahadith in the sacred Haram of Madina Munawwarah. It is, therefore, that most of the Ahadith have been taken from the book of Bukhari Shareef.
Important Ahadith of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) have been included here for the betterment, benefit guidance and gain of the readers of this book. If followed, the reader of these sayings will receive a permit to Paradise even in this world. Every saying opens door to Divine favour and sure success.
1. For every Durood Shareef that you recite, ten sins are forgiven, ten good deeds are entered into your sheet of actions and ten position are upgraded.
2. Allah showers ten blessings on the man who recites a Durood. 3. The first man who will meet the Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) on the Day of Judgement will be that person who had recited the Durood maximum number of times in his life time.
4. Those who recite Durood in maximum number will be nearest and dearest to the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) in the next world.
5. If any one is involved in a difficulty then he must recite countless number of Durood Shareefs.
6. Reciting Durood Shareef eradicates poverty and hunger.
7. If the Sawaab of the Durood Shareef is dedicated to another person, then that person will receive the Sawaab, while the Sawaab of the reciter will not be lessened.
8. Reciting excessive Durood Shareef brings purity.
9. Reciting maximum number of Durood Shareef is full compensation of all sins.
10. Any one who recites excessive Durood Shareef in this world will be safe and sound in the next world.
11. When a prayer is made to Allah it is never accepted unless praise of Allah Ta’ala and Durood Shareef on the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is first of all recited.
12. Those who recite Durood quite often will see Divine Light on the dark Day of Judgement.
13. Three persons will be under the cool shade and the favours of Allah Ta’ala on the Doom’s Day. One who kept the Holy Prophet’s (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) Sunnah alive, one who removed difficulty of a fellow being and one who recited maximum number of Durood Shareef in his life time.
14. When you forget anything and your memory fails to recollect it, then recite Durood, you will remember the forgotten thing.
15. Reciting Durood in this world is rewarding in the next.
16. The reciter of 10 Duroods in the morning and 10 in the evening will receive the help of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) on the Day of Judgement.
17. One who recites Durood Shareef near the shrine of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is heard by him there and then alone.
18. Any one who recites Durood is just as one who purchased a slave and freed him.
19. If a Durood is written in a book by someone Angels of Allah shower blessings on him till the Durood remains in that book.
20. The Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said that he himself recites blessings on one who recites Durood on him.
21. Any one who wants to meet his Allah with a happy face must recite countless number of Durood Shareef.
22. Reward equivalent to a big mountain (Uhad) is given to one who recites one Durood.
23. All people will be presented to the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) with their habits, natures and distinct manner, so it is obligatory for a man to recite maximum number of Durood.
24. Allah is Great and Almighty to forgive all sins of the reciter during the day and night when he recites Durood Shareef.
25. If any one meets in a tragedy, he should recite Durood Shareef in countless numbers.
26. Reciting Durood is like giving something in charity.
27. Reciting maximum number of Durood kills all hardships.
28. Recite Durood Shareef in countless number on Friday, as it is presented to me (the Holy Prophet).
29. Bad deeds of 200 years (equivalent) are obliterated if a man recites 100 Durood on Friday.
30. Anyone who recites Durood will overcome all their troubles.
31. If the name of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is mentioned and one who hears it but does not recite Durood Shareef, understand that he has forgotten the path to Paradise.
32. “I pray for all those who recite Durood on me”, said the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
33. If any one recites Durood Shareef from any place, any part of the world from any distance, it actually reaches the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) immediately. Allah Ta’ala has appointed several Angels who are given exclusive duty to collect all Durood Shareef and present the same before the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) immediately.
34. Angels of Allah shower 70 blessings on a man who recites Durood once.
35. Whenever you hear the call of prayers (Azaan) you should recite Durood.
36. Wherever you are, from any quarter of the world, you must recite Durood as it reaches the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
37. Ablution is not complete if Durood is not recited on it.
38. The Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said to his wife that any one who hears the name of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and does not recite Durood on him will not see the beautiful face of Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) on the Day of the Judgement.
39. Sayyiduna Ali (radi Allahu anhu) reports that Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said, “The real miser is he in whose presence I am mentioned and then he fails to recite Salat on me”.
40. If a person recites 1 000 Durood Shareef daily, he will never die unless he himself sees his place in Heaven with his own eyes.
41. The Durood Shareef that is recited by the person is written with a Golden Pen on a Silver tablet by the Angels. The Angels then present this Durood Shareef to Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) and proclaim, “O Habeeb of Allah! The son of such and such a person has presented this gift in your majestic court”.
D) RESPECT THAT SHOULD BE ACCORDED WHEN RECITING THE DUROOD SHAREEF
Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) said: “Without doubt, there is an Angel of Almighty Allah whom Allah has given power to listen to the voices of all the people. Whenever any person reads the Durood Shareef, this Angel delivers the Durood Shareef to me. I then plead to Almighty Allah for the person to receive ten blessings for reading a single Durood Shareef”. (Jami’us Sagheer)
How should one recite the Durood Shareef? What should be the persons condition and the conditions of his environment? The following points should be taken into account when reciting Durood Shareef:-
1. It should be read with utmost humility and respect.
2. The clothes of the reciter should be clean and free from all impurity.
3. The place where the Durood Shareef is to be read should be clean.
4. It is more superior to be in a state of Wudhu while reciting the Durood Shareef.
5. It is better to sit in the Tashahudd position as you would sit when in Salaah and recite the Durood Shareef with concentration and the respect due to it.
6. It is preferable to face Madinatul Munawwarah.
7. If possible, one should have sweet fragrance around the place.
8. The reciter should try and understand the meaning of the Durood Shareef.
9. One should possess a clean and untainted intention. One should read with the sole intention of pleasing Almighty Allah and Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
10. The person should not be involved in worldly talks.
11. A person should try his level best to follow the example or Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
12. When reading Durood Shareef, you should try and imagine that you are sitting in the august presence of Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). Utmost respect and reverence should be displayed.
13. Whenever one hears or recites the Durood Shareef, it should be read and written in full. It is also preferable to kiss one’s thumb and rub them over one’s eyes when hearing the name of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
14. When the reading of the Durood Shareef is completed one should praise Allah Ta’ala that he has given you the opportunity of reading such a great Zikr as the Durood Shareef.
15. Whenever one takes the name of the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), one should use titles of respect and reverence.
16. As an advantage one should count on one’s fingers as Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) often encouraged this practice because on the Day of Qiyamah those same fingers will bear witness at the time when they are questioned.
17. Recite Durood Shareef wherever you are (not in the bathroom or toilet) and during any occasion.